A state government’s jurisdiction is limited to the state. Accordingly, a state trademark only protects a mark within that state. If your mark is used in interstate or international commerce, is it usually the best course of action to obtain a federal trademark registration.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
- Can a family name or surname be trademarked?
- How long does it take get a trademark or service mark?
- What constitutes trademark infringement?
- What is the difference between a trademark and service mark?
- What is the difference between state and federal trademark?
- Will a state trademark protect a nationwide brand?